An aspiring African American family’s vineyard in California’s Napa Valley is the setting for Janine Sherman Barrois’ series, which tells the story of the Kings, who own the vineyard.
To succeed in their father’s wine business, his three children must fight for control of their own kingdom—their power, fortune, and legacy—following his untimely departure from the company.
Film director Matthew A. Cherry has been tapped to helm the show’s first two episodes, which will be directed by the Academy Award-winning actor. Isiah Whitlock Jr., Heather Simms, Curtis Hamilton, and Samantha Walkes are among the guest stars on this episode.
Warner Bros Television and Harpo Films create The Kings of Napa for OWN. Sherman Barrois, Michelle Listenbee Brown, and Oprah Winfrey will serve as showrunner and executive producers for the show.
Does ‘The Kings Of Napa’ have a second season?
t goes without saying that ratings are one of the major determining factors for whether or not a show gets renewed for a second season. Unfortunately for Kings of Napa, those numbers haven’t exactly been stellar.
As of Episode 7 (which aired on Feb. 22), the show has averaged approximately 263,000 viewers. It’s also brought in a weak 0.03 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic, placing it last among all OWN dramas in that demo.
At this time, we can’t sure for sure that there will be a second season, but we also can’t say the show has been canceled. Ahead of the Season 1 finale, Kings of Napa creator Janine Sherman Barrois spoke to TVLine about the conclusion and if the show could be back for another season.
We won’t spoil the anticipated finale for viewers who haven’t seen it yet, but we will share that Janine expressed optimism when talking about the long-term future of the series.
Meet the Rest of The Cast Members
This family is just like that of OWN’s Greenleaf and Queen Sugar, so get to know the cast members. These are the places where you may have seen them before.
- Ebonée Noel (August King) was previously in the Romeo and Juliet–inspired series Still Star-Crossed.
- You may have seen Karen LeBlanc (Vanessa King) in Ginny & Georgia, Ransom, and Lovecraft Country.
- Heather Simms (Yvette King) might be familiar with Luke Cage or Random Acts of Flyness.
- Yaani King Mondschein’s (Bridgett Pierce) first roles were in The Prince and Me and Sex and the City. Recently, she appeared in the series The Magicians, Sneakerheads, and Good Trouble.
- The Kings of Napa is Rance Nix’s (Dana King) first major role.
- Devika Parikh (Melanie Pierce) was in multiple shows in the ’90s, from Showtime’s Resurrection Blvd to The West Sing, and recently appeared in the 350th episode of Grey’s Anatomy.
- Ashlee Brian (Christian King) was in The Forty-Year-Old Version on Netflix and BET+’s All the Queen’s Men.
- Curtis Hamilton (Kelvin Johnson) was in the last and final season of Insecure.
- Finally, Samantha Walkes (Rose King) starred in Murdoch Mysteries.
Even if you’ve already seen The Kings of Napa, you’ll be able to catch the actors again soon.
Exactly What Is This TV Show All About?
Ebonée Noel, Rance Nix, Karen LeBlanc, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Yaani King Mondschein, Ashlee Brian, and Devika Parikh feature in the OWN cable channel’s The Kings of Napa TV program.
The aspirational African-American family, the Kings, own a stunning and picturesque Napa Valley vineyard where the action takes place. Their opulence and social prominence put them in high-end design publications and gossip columns.
After the patriarch’s untimely departure from the company, his three offspring must fight for the keys to the kingdom in order to gain power, wealth, and a lasting legacy from the wine industry.