How to exit or mute a group SMS on Android and iOS is covered in this post. Unless otherwise specified, the following instructions are applicable to devices running iOS 12 or later and Android 8 or later. This guide is for Android’s default messaging app.
You may need to follow a different set of steps to exit a group text depending on the Android messaging software you’re using, such as Messages on a Samsung phone or Google Messages.
- Navigate to the group text.
- Tap the three vertical dots.
- Tap the bell to mute the conversation.
- You will not see any more messages in the group text unless you go back and tap the bell again to accept them. At that point, the messages you missed will populate the conversation.
Leave a Group Text on an iPhone
When using an iPhone, you may choose from a number of different methods to silence messages from large groups.
Option 1: Mute Notifications
Muting group SMS alerts is the first option available on iOS.
- Open the group text you want to mute.
- Go to the top of the screen and tap the group of contacts.
- Tap the Information button (it’s located under the group).
- Scroll to the bottom and tap the Hide Alerts toggle to turn it On.
If you turn on Do Not Disturb (or Hide Alerts, depending on your version of iOS) for a group text, you won’t be notified when someone sends a new message to the group, nor will you hear the text sound that normally goes along with it. Opening the group text will allow you to see any new messages that have been added to the thread. This approach reduces interruptions.
Read More: The Step-By-Step Guide: How To Resetting Your Netgear Router?
Option 2: Leave a Group Text on iOS
It’s simple to end a conversation via the iPhone’s Messages app, but doing so isn’t always possible. The following are the conditions necessary to end an iOS group text:
- You can’t just be sending a group SMS; you have to be using iMessage. If any of the participants in the group chat don’t have iOS devices or are using a different app than Messages, then you’ll be in a regular group message and won’t be able to exit the conversation using Messages.
- A group text must include at least four participants. The reasoning behind this is that if you were to leave a three-person chat, it would revert back to a normal text between two individuals.
- If you are in a group chat of three people or more in iMessage, the option to leave the conversation will be unavailable to you.
Read More: How to Turn Your Chromecast Back On?
While using iOS, this is how to end a group text:
- Open the group iMessage you want to leave.
- Tap the group at the top, then the Information button.
- Scroll down and tap Leave this Conversation.
- Tap Leave this Conversation to confirm your choice.
Leave a Comment