With Apple CarPlay, you can use your apps safely while driving. With this service, you can still keep your eyes focused on the road and both hands on the steering wheel while checking your map, getting a call, responding to an urgent message, or playing Apple music. But, just like with any service, you might run into problems with Apple CarPlay and find that it no longer works.
We’re here to tell you there are plenty of easy ways to get out of this situation. Apple CarPlay lets you use your iOS apps without having to take your hands off the wheel. It does this by sending everything through your car’s infotainment system.
And that’s great as long as Apple CarPlay keeps working. CarPlay might not connect, CarPlay apps might not work right, or you might not be able to hear anything at all when CarPlay is connected. If Apple CarPlay isn’t working, here’s how to get everything back together.
Causes for Apple CarPlay Not Working
Even if Apple CarPlay has worked in the past, it may not work or stop working for a number of reasons. These things are:
- Problems with an iOS update.
- Integration issues between apps.
- Incompatibility issues.
- iPhone not detected.
How to Fix Apple CarPlay Issues
No matter what the problem is—no connection, no sound, or apps that don’t work—there is a set of steps you can take to fix it. Try each of these steps to see if it fixes your problem and gets CarPlay working again. If not, go to the next question. Before you get to the end of the list, it’s likely that you’ll have solved whatever problem you were having.
1. Make sure your iPhone can use CarPlay. There could be a number of settings that are getting in the way of the CarPlay connection. For instance, if you have turned off CarPlay, you will need to turn it back on.
2. To do this, go to Settings > General > CarPlay and reconnect your car to the app. Or, if you turned it off in Screen Time, you can turn it back on by going to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
3. Make sure that Siri is turned on. For CarPlay to work, Siri needs to be turned on. If it’s not, go to Settings > Siri & Search and make sure the following options are turned on:
- Listen for “Hey Siri”
- Press Side Button for Siri
- Allow Siri When Locked
Most people get confused by the Allow Hey Siri When Locked option because it isn’t always turned on.
4. Make sure CarPlay is turned on when the car is locked. If CarPlay isn’t turned on when your phone is locked, it won’t work if the screen is off. To fix this, go to Settings > General > CarPlay and tap your car from the list of connections. Then turn the Allow CarPlay While Locked switch on.
5. Check your USB connection if you can’t connect wirelessly. If you’re using the original iPhone USB connection, check to make sure none of the wires are frayed or cracked. If you are using a third-party cable, try another one. Sometimes, the problem you’re having can be fixed by just switching out the cable.
6. Make sure you’re tucked into the right port if you can’t connect wirelessly. Many new cars have more than one USB port, but not all of them will necessarily work to connect CarPlay to your car. Look for an icon that says CarPlay or iOS. If you don’t see one of these, try each USB port on your infotainment system to determine which of them is for your CarPlay connection.
7. If your car can connect to CarPlay wirelessly, make sure that your iPhone is not in Airplane Mode. Your phone can’t make any wireless connections when it’s in Airplane Mode. This could stop your phone from talking to your car.
8. If you’re using a wifi technology, turn on Bluetooth and connect the iPhone to the car. You won’t be able to communicate with the device if your Bluetooth is turned off.
9. First, turn off your iPhone. Then, turn off your car. Sometimes, if you turn the whole thing off and then back on, the error will go away and everything will connect just fine the next time.
10. Make absolutely sure your iPhone has all the latest software. If you haven’t updated your phone, you might not have the drivers or software you need to connect to CarPlay. If you update, you might be able to fix any problems you’re having.
11. Forget your CarPlay connection and set it up again. You’ll need to go to Settings > General > CarPlay and choose the car you want to connect to. Then tap Don’t Remember This Car. Then, turn off both your car and your iPhone and try to connect again.
- Go to Settings > General > CarPlay and tap Available Cars if your car can connect to your phone wirelessly. Then choose your car to set up the link.
- If you’re using a cable connection, plug the USB cable back in and follow the on-screen instructions.
12. If you’re still having trouble connecting or if CarPlay isn’t working right, you should contact Apple Support to see if they can help.